At Askham Village Community we believe life is for living, so our facility has been purposefully set up to maximise the opportunities to enjoy it to the fullest! Both residents and the public can come to Askham and make the most of what we have together in an open public environment. Interaction with the community is essential and we encourage this at Askham.
Across the seven acre site, Askham is designed as a unique village community which facilitates an improved quality of life for all who live there. Each home has been designed with its inhabitants in mind and is equipped accordingly.
A combination of the below features are found in the accommodation:
- En Suite bathrooms to ensure dignity is preserved
- Overhead tracking and hoisting facilities support mobility
- Internal and external bedroom doors give individuals greater independence
- Accessible kitchen facilities enable some to provide for themselves
- Personal garden plots attached to each room
- Portrait windows visible from the bed side
- Assisted bathing facilities with state of the art equipment
- Fully remote controlled profiling beds with air mattresses where needed
Accessible to all residents as well as available by appointment are our rehabilitation facilities:
- Hydrotherapy pool for hire with or without trained staff
- Physiotherapy gym with the latest kit including FES, tilt table, and arm/ leg bike
- Numerous consulting rooms for Speech & Language or other inputs
- Training room set up with utilities and kitchen fit out for occupational therapy input
Residents and visitors can enjoy a number of recreational facilities which are safe and easy to access, being out of the home but still on site:
- Cafe open seven days per week providing hot and cold snacks
- Gardens to enjoy sensory stimulation and interact with the natural world
Askham World Gardens
Here at Askham Village Community we understand the importance of a peaceful environment. Whether you prefer to follow meandering paths, or sit quietly at your window and watch the butterflies, theAskham Gardens bring a sense of relaxation that can not be achieved through any other means.
Inspired by eastern philosophies, the gardens bring together sounds, smells and sights to generate a sensory experience that calms and warms all who pass through. In the words of the Aga Khan IV, ‘…gardens are a place where, whatever difficult moments come our way, we can always find, in the flow of refreshing water, a reminder of … blessing’.
The central courtyard is Askham’s very own char bagh, quadrants separated by streams of water running towards a central fountain thereby representing aspects of what some believe to have been present in the gardens of paradise.
The studies behind horticultural therapy suggest that quality of life is increased manifold with proximity to nature. At Askham the interaction between buildings, people, and the gardens is based on this same thinking. The gardens are open to the public as well as all being enjoyed by all members of the Askham Community. In the quiet serenity you may hear Residents, their families and friends and staff chit chatting, enjoying the expanse of the courtyard or simply trying to work out which plant comes from where?
When the weather permits, the landscaped gardens become an extension to the café.
Open daily – 10.30am to 4.30pm
The unique environment of the Askham Village Community Café, is rapidly becoming a hub for all social interaction! Used by both the residents and their family/friends; whilst staff can also take time out to just relax and mix with others. In Spring, Summer and Autumn, the Café is extended into the sheltered courtyard where residents, staff and visitors bask in the warmth of the sun, enjoy the litany of colours and differential gardens that are fast becoming an attraction in themselves.
- Enjoy a Fairtrade Coffee and a selection of tasty snacks
Askham Shop Coming soon!
Opens – 2017
The Askham Village Community shop is coming soon. Keep an eye out for information about the equipment we’re planning to have available for purchase or borrow from the store. We understand technology can do a lot to help promote and prolong independence and stay either in your own home or the community as long as possible. We felt an onsite shop would be a great way to support that approach. Visit our news page for updates.